[yocto] [meta-raspberrypi] Purpose of vc-graphics-hardfp.bb & vc-graphics.bb unclear

Alex J Lennon ajlennon at dynamicdevices.co.uk
Tue Jun 3 07:39:27 PDT 2014

On 03/06/2014 15:31, Felix01 Fischer wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> my ongoing struggle to get qt5 working on the raspberrypi led me to a
> question unrelated to qt5.
>
> why do vc-graphics-hardfp.bb & vc-graphics.bb exist? [1]
> There is no recipe which uses on of this files.
> If I add one of them to my image via IMAGE_INSTALL_append I get errors
> that userland.git and vc-grapics-hardfp both provide virtual/egl and
> virtual/libgles2.
> (Which they obviously do.) [2]
>
> My question is: What is the reason for having userland_git.bb &
> vc-graphics.bb/vc-graphics-hardfp ?

Hi Felix,

I'm not sure, but I've been looking at userland vs vc-graphics recently
and I believe it is historical.

Originally the intermediate layer between userspace and the videocore
was distributed as binaries
which is what vc-graphics pulls down

ref: https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/tree/master/opt/vc

More recently Broadcom opened up the source and provided it under a more
relaxed license, and this
is what userland provides:

ref: http://www.raspberrypi.org/open-source-arm-userspace/
ref: https://github.com/raspberrypi/userland

Somebody will no doubt correct me if my guess is wrong :)

I have been using userland + gstreamer reasonably sucessfully here
although my patch is needed for some
of the userspace apps (e.g. raspivid), and there are some configuration
issues that need patching still
relating to gstreamer1.0-omx

ref: https://github.com/raspberrypi/userland/pull/179

Cheers,

Alex

--

Dynamic Devices Ltd <http://www.dynamicdevices.co.uk/>

Alex J Lennon / Director
1 Queensway, Liverpool L22 4RA

mobile: +44 (0)7956 668178

Linkedin <http://www.linkedin.com/in/alexjlennon> Skype
<skype:alexjlennon?add>

This e-mail message may contain confidential or legally privileged
information and is intended only for the use of the intended
recipient(s). Any unauthorized disclosure, dissemination, distribution,
copying or the taking of any action in reliance on the information
herein is prohibited. E-mails are not secure and cannot be guaranteed to
be error free as they can be intercepted, amended, or contain viruses.
Anyone who communicates with us by e-mail is deemed to have accepted
these risks. Company Name is not responsible for errors or omissions in
this message and denies any responsibility for any damage arising from
the use of e-mail. Any opinion and other statement contained in this
message and any attachment are solely those of the author and do not
necessarily represent those of the company.