[yocto] dev manual definition of "Image" is totally wrong

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Sat Jul 26 04:12:59 PDT 2014

On Fri, 25 Jul 2014, Rudolf Streif wrote:

>         here:
>
>       http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/latest/dev-manual/dev-manual.html#yocto-project-terms
>
>       the definition of "Image" refers to the generated artifacts of a
>       build, whereas the standard usage (as typified by the link) more
>       correctly refers to things like core-image-minimal.
>
> The term "image" is somewhat overloaded and if not detailed context
> dependent. Image at least could be a "kernel image" or a "root file
> system image". In the context of YP the term typically refers to a
> root file system image of which core-image-minimal is an instance.

  i know that, but the definition as it stands in the dev manual is
extremely misleading:

"Image: An image is the result produced when BitBake processes a given
collection of recipes and related Metadata. Images are the binary
output that run on specific hardware or QEMU and are used for specific
use-cases..."

  "the result" implies a single result when everyone knows a build can
produce several output objects. and as rudolf correctly points out,
the word "image" is context dependent, and it certainly is the way
one refers to the image *recipe files*, which you find (unfortunately)
under directories named "images/".

  personally, i think a build's output should have been called
"artifacts", but that's just me. and as forrest gump once said, "and
that's all i have to say about that."

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca