[yocto] Yocto build is taking too long time in kernel do_package and do_populate_sysroots

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at windriver.com
Mon Jul 14 11:27:37 PDT 2014

On 14-07-14 11:20 AM, jags gediya wrote:
> I am a newbie to yocto. For the purpose of check in code on svn, I
> have deleted all .git, .gitignore and .repo file from yocto before
> built. Then i have checked out that code from svn and started the
> yocto built.
>
> But my compilation used to stop at below point for more than an hour.

Depending on the speed of your machine, the disk, memory, etc .. yes,
those tasks can take a long time.

We've been working on improving kernel build and packaging time for
several releases now, and are still continuing in the upcoming
1.7 release.

The sheer amount of files, i/o and packaging required for the kernel
build, sysroot, kernel modules and packages simply takes time.

For incremental development, and testing workflow. Look into only
running the single task you need (i.e. just compile), or look at using
"externalsrc" support. Both those options will significant speed up
your iterative development time.

Bruce