[yocto] Environment Variables being unset by bitbake?

Allen Kennedy Jr. allen at kennedystuff.com
Thu Jul 10 06:46:37 PDT 2014

Nicholas,
  Thanks for your response.  I tried the following permutations:
I added this: BB_ENV_EXTRAWHITE += " JAVA_HOME" to the top of my recipe.
I added this: BB_ENV_EXTRAWHITE += "JAVA_HOME" to the top of my recipe.
I added this: BB_ENV_EXTRAWHITE = "JAVA_HOME" to the top of my recipe.
I added this: export BB_ENV_EXTRAWHITE="JAVA_HOME" to the top of my recipe
I added this: export BB_ENV_EXTRAWHITE="JAVA_HOME" to a function in my
recipe

All with no joy.  I did a bit of google-fu and came up with this one:
on the command line: BB_ENV_EXTRAWHITE="JAVA_HOME" bitbake myRecipe

Which almost works, but not really.  my bbnote in my recipe exclaims: NOTE:
java is here: /usr/local/java/jdk
which is right, but then in the shell script that gets called after that,
the first lines are:
if [ -z "$JAVA_HOME" ]; then
    echo "JAVA_HOME is not set"
    exit 1
fi

Which turns out the error that JAVA_HOME is not set.

again, this shell script works perfectly fine outside of the bitbake system.

Any other ideas?
thanks,
-allen