[yocto] Yocto branches policy for concurrent SDK releases

Bob Cochran yocto at mindchasers.com
Thu Jan 9 12:24:41 PST 2014

On 11/22/2013 05:43 AM, Zhenhua Luo wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Currently concurrent SDKs are on-going(e.g. SDK 1.5, T1040/T2080, LS1, etc), the same Yocto branch is used for multiple releases, there is conflict of Yocto recipes for different SDKs.
>
> To resolve above issue, following branch mechanism will be used:
>
> 1. For those layers without conflict(poky, meta-oe, meta-virtualization and layers reused from community), same branch will be used and no extra branches need to be created, change for those layer should be upstreamed synchronously.
>
> 2. For those layers with conflict, the branch specific to SDK are created, currently meta-fsl-ppc and meta-fsl-networking have conflict for different SDKs. Following branches will co-exist for such layers.
>     a. Yocto release branch: dylan, dora. the common changes for all SDKs should be submitted against this branch and cherry-picked to SDK specific branches. The changes should be upstreamed synchronously.
>     b. SDK specific branch: dylan-sdk1.5, dylan-t1_t2, etc. The SDK specific change should be submitted against SDK branch, when SDK is formally released, the changes will be upstreamed.

Hi Zhenhua,

Any plans to create a repo for meta-fsl-networking on git.yoctoproject
for Power / QorIQ developers?

It would be good for yocto users, such as myself, to be able to build
something incremental between the SDK releases using updated / patched
recipes pulled from the yocto repos, which should include
meta-fsl-networking.

Say I wanted to propose a patch to a recipe like fsl-image-full, which
is in meta-fsl-networking, how would I go about it?

Last February (2013), you proposed an FSL Yocto layers reorg that merged
layerscape/ARM with Power for QorIQ.  I imagine you're getting close to
having something internally.  Can you please share the vision with us
along with whether it will be public on the yocto project (as opposed to
kept under wraps with incremental SDK releases)?

Thank you,

Bob