[yocto] Smart PM for upgrade the full image

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Wed Jan 8 07:39:04 PST 2014

On Wednesday 08 January 2014 14:07:57 Tarek El-Sherbiny wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 1:33 PM, Paul Eggleton <paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
> > wrote:
> > On Wednesday 08 January 2014 12:52:42 Tarek El-Sherbiny wrote:
> > > I have several targets deployed in multiple sites. Each target might  be
> > > running  a different version of the product rootfs image. When I release
> > > a new rootfs image I would like to use the smart command on each target
> > > at the customer site to upgrade the software to the latest image. Going
> > > through each package and install it separately is inefficient way of
> > > handling the upgrade and I don't expect the customer to have the
> > > knowledge for doing so.
> > >
> > > What we really need is a smart command to compare the latest rootfs
> > > image and install, remove or un-change packages based on what is
> > > currently installed.
> > >
> > > Can the smart command achieve that or do I need to write my own script?
> >
> > Isn't this the same question you asked the other day? i.e., this is "smart
> > upgrade".
>
> Smart upgrade only upgrades packages that is currently installed. It
> doesn't install new packages nor remove unwanted packages.
> Is that not true?

That is true, yes. As far as I know, smart has no capabilities in this area
beyond what is offered through conflicts - and for situations where one package
replaces another, with any of the package management backends we support you
should use RPROVIDES + RREPLACES + RCONFLICTS to ensure that the old name is
redirected to the new name, new package is installed automatically, and the
old package is removed (respectively).

If it's a straight old image -> new image upgrade, you'll probably have to
look at other tools; package managers don't really handle this situation well
- at least not out of the box.

Cheers,
Paul

--