[yocto] Call for demos

Alex J Lennon ajlennon at dynamicdevices.co.uk
Thu Jan 2 04:34:23 PST 2014

On 02/01/2014 00:06, Philip Balister wrote:
> I was thinking about demos for FOSDEM (thanks to the people that have
> already offered some) and realized I should reach out to the broader
> community.
>
> OpenEmbedded has a stand (table) at FOSDEM to show of the project to the
> oen source community. Typically, whoever comes to FOSDEM brings whatever
> cool thing they are working on with OE at the time. I'd liek to try and
> get some more diverse hardware on display to show how flexible the
> project is.
>
> A good demo should be visually interesting. Blinking lights/ LCD panels
> etc. A few static seriously embedded things are fine, but people love to
> see blinking lights :)
>
> Long term, I'd like to build up a set of physically small demos we can
> pass around as people attend various conferences to show off
> OpenEmbedded (and the Yocto Project) capabilities.
>
> What I am looking for is boards with good BSP layers that are well
> supported (preferably by the manufacturer in some way) and have an image
> that is easy for people to reproduce. (Basically, we should show stuff
> that people can go home, order hardware, and build the demo image
> without a lot of tweaking).
>
> So what I am looking for is:
>
> 1) Donations of hardware we can demo
> 2) Software support for the hardware
>
> I'd like to use this as a way for us to show support for vendors that
> support us.

Philip,

The offer I made to bring along a demo still stands -

https://lists.yoctoproject.org/pipermail/yocto/2013-November/017124.html

Somewhat surprised not to have had a response, as I believe this would make
a good demo for the Yocto project (meta-freescale, i.MX6, production
hardware,
IoT and so forth)

(There may also be a discussion to be had about extended loan of an
i.MX6 based
system which you may be able to use at various conferences moving forward)

This is still achievable if there is interest, but I'll need to know
soon or will not
have time to pull things together prior to end of month.

Otherwise, no doubt our paths will cross at FOSDEM :)

Best Regards,

Alex