[yocto] Using MACHINE_EXTRA_RDEPENDS to install wifi Firmware

Ash Charles ashcharles at gmail.com
Thu Feb 27 14:05:56 PST 2014

Hi,

I'm seeing warnings like
"
WARNING: The recipe linux-firmware is trying to install files into a
shared area when those files already exist. Those files and their
manifest location are:
   /home/ash/Store/Yocto/yocto/build/tmp/sysroots/overo/lib/firmware/whiteheat.fw
   Matched in manifest-overo-linux-gumstix
"
when building a core-image-minimal.  It looks like the linux-firmware
is getting pulled in resulting in these warnings because I have this
line in my machine/overo.conf file:
"
MACHINE_EXTRA_RDEPENDS += "linux-firmware-sd8686"
"

I added this to make sure the firmware for my wifi chip was getting
installed as directed per [1] but I'm thinking that this is not
correct.

What is the correct way to ensure my firmware gets installed or will
it anyway by virtue of the kernel being included in the build?

Thanks,
Ash

[1] http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/current/mega-manual/mega-manual.html#var-MACHINE_EXTRA_RDEPENDS