[yocto] @#NAME type fields

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Thu Feb 20 02:18:50 PST 2014

Hi Dennis,

On Thursday 20 February 2014 09:04:38 Meier, Dennis wrote:
> what is the reason for the "#@TYPE", "#@NAME" and "#@DESCRIPTION" fields in
> the machine-*.conf files? Are they getting parsed somewhere? Are they there
> for historical reasons? Could they be extended (i.e. more fields added)
> without problem?

For a long time I think they were mostly historical - maybe someone else can
fill in the blanks. I believe the original intention was to provide information
for other tools that the build system didn't need itself. We are using these
in a couple of places now that I know of for machine .conf files:

* DESCRIPTION (or NAME, if DESCRIPTION isn't available) are read and used by
the OpenEmbedded layer index [1]

* I think WEBTITLE is used to specify the title to show up for the BSP when
listed on the Yocto Project website [2]

Strictly speaking these are just comments, so you could put anything in there
if you needed to, but if you want something that's going to be adopted by
other BSP authors it would be worth trying to get some consensus about the
values used. Currently I don't think we have this documented anywhere, but
people seem to have been filling in the values because they are there in the
templates and other BSPs.

Cheers,
Paul

[1] http://layers.openembedded.org/layerindex/branch/master/machines/