[yocto] How to exclude QT Debug libraries from image

Brad Litterell brad at evidence.com
Sat Feb 8 17:44:26 PST 2014

I have a package "bar" that uses qt4-embedded (inherit qt4e).  When I include the dbg package for my stuff (bar-dbg) in the image, I also get several hundred MB of QT related debug files that I'm not interested in.  All I want to do is run GDB on my code, I don't care to debug into the QT code.

That makes sense as Yocto figures out the dependency chain for all the packages in the image, but I'm wondering if there is a way to defeat it since it will reduce the size of my image considerably (over 10x) and save me a lot of time during the build.

In essence, I want something like DEPENDS -= "<list of packages I want to exclude>".

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks,
Brad