[yocto] File not found when trying to run an executable not build by Yocto

David Welch djwelch666 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 3 07:51:08 PST 2014

Hi,

I am building an image for an embedded system using the chiefriver and
kernel 3.12.9.  I am using Ubuntu as our base system.

The image builds and boots fine which is great but we have some binaries
built on Ubuntu which must run on the Yocto image.  When we copy these
across and try and run them we get a "File Not Found" error.

Why would this be?  Doing file on our ubuntu executables we get:

/bin/true: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically
linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.24,
BuildID[sha1]=0x2b45516be4a9f45b1127d54efb0d42e5f69b1c82, stripped

The Yocto executables are the same except instead of GNU/Linux 2.6.24 it is
2.6.16.  It that a problem?

Also, on ubuntu we are running libc-2.17 but on Yocto it is libc-2.18.  Is
that a problem?

Thanks for any assistance,
Dave