[yocto] Microcontroller Cross Compiler

Darcy Watkins dwatkins at sierrawireless.com
Thu Dec 18 11:09:11 PST 2014

Hello,

In my target system I have a microcontroller (MCU) that handles some I/O, power supplies and system boot up to the point of taking the main CPU out of reset.  At present, we build the MCU firmware from source and then the binary file is packaged to be used as payload with an MCU firmware update utility.

Now my main question...  does anyone have suggestions (or is there a 'yocto' way) to build such a cross compiler for the MCU so that it can be invoked to build MCU firmware from source as part of the bitbake build for the Linux target's image.  The idea would be to build MCU firmware image from source using the MCU cross compiler, but obviously to build drivers and utilities that run on the main CPU using the normal cross-compiler toolchains built under yocto.  Then I could package the payload firmware image along with utilities all as part of the same RPM package.

The MCU cross compiler we use was originally generated using crosstool-ng, and is essentially a gcc cross compiler for 'bare metal' MCU target.

Does anyone who has gone down this road have suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Darcy

Darcy Watkins ::  Staff Engineer, Firmware

SIERRA WIRELESS
Direct  +1 604 233 7989   ::  Fax  +1 604 231 1109  ::  Main  +1 604 231 1100
13811 Wireless Way  :: Richmond, BC Canada V6V 3A4
[P2]
dwatkins at sierrawireless.com :: www.sierrawireless.com :: www.inmotiontechnology.com