[yocto] Japanese fonts and UTF-8 for the target system

Bo Thorsen bo at vikingsoft.eu
Tue Dec 16 07:32:21 PST 2014

Hi everyone,

I inherited a Qt 5 based project that runs on a yocto built linux. It's
1.6, AFAICS.

There are two problems that I have some problems fixing, and I don't know
enough about yocto builds yet to figure those out.

The first is that Japanese and Korean fonts are not shown correctly in the
Qt application. I can see in the list of fonts from the QFontDatabase that
Japanese fonts are available. The list of fonts match exactly the list I
have on my desktop machine. But a test string doesn't show the Japanese or
Korean chars in the UI. The weird thing is that I can show Russian and
Danish chars, so I do have UTF-8 capable font rendering. Something must be
missing on the system for font-config (or whatever renders the text) to
find a font that can show those languages. If some of you have hints about
what I need to do, I'd be very happy to hear about them.

The target machine has been built without any kind of locale info. There
are no locales, charmaps etc, on the system. And LC_*, LANG and LANGUAGE
are unset. I need to find some way for the target machine to run
en_US.UTF-8 as the standard locale because the users will save files with
filenames in their own language.

I hope you have some pointers about some of this for me.

BTW, please CC me, as I'm not subscribed to this list yet.

Sincerely,

Bo Thorsen,
Viking Software.