[yocto] External Linux Kernel Module

Moore, Thomas (FtWorth) Thomas.Moore2 at ATK.COM
Tue Dec 9 21:42:31 PST 2014

Hello,

I'm working on incorporating an external kernel module based on the hello-mod skeleton recipe. Everything was going well until I added the following line to my machine configuration:

MACHINE_EXTRA_RDEPENDS += "kernel-module-hello"

Attempting to run "bitbake core-image-base" then leads to the following error:

no package provides kernel-module-hello

After digging through the .bbclass files in the meta folder, I'm beginning to think that the following comment in the hello-mod_0.1.bb file is no longer true:

# The inherit of module.bbclass will automatically name module packages with
# "kernel-module-" prefix as required by the oe-core build environment.

Adding the following lines to the end of hello-mod_0.1.bb allows the image to be successfully created:

PROVIDES = "kernel-module-hello"
RPROVIDES_${PN} = "kernel-module-hello"

Has something been changed in module.bbclass? Is it even required to have to have the "kernel-module-" prefix?

Thanks,

Thomas