[yocto] .bbappend and require

Gary Thomas gary at mlbassoc.com
Mon Dec 8 11:27:48 PST 2014

I have a base image in my distribution (e.g. xyz-image-base.bb).
Many of my layers will build on this using 'require', e.g.
   require recipes-base/images/xyz-image-base.bb

Sometimes a given layer may create many such image recipes, each
using 'require' to fill in the base.  It would be nice to be able
to adjust the base recipe using a .bbappend in the layer so that
all images built by that layer use the same changes.  I've found
that this doesn't work as .bbappend files do not seem to be used
by 'require'.

It's easy to see this bug in action - just create a file
'core-image-minimal.bbappend' which contains:
   CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL += " non-existent-package"
With this, you *can* build core-image-minimal-dev (which uses
'require' to build on core-image-minimal) but not core-image-minimal.

Is there some [good] reason for this behaviour or a bug?
Could it be made to work the way I had hoped/expected?

Thanks