[yocto] using preferred_provider

Vinodh Rajaraman (vrajaram) vrajaram at cisco.com
Fri Dec 5 06:53:10 PST 2014

Facing an issue, where item 'libpython2.7.so.1.0¹ is provided by 2
different packages (libpython2.7-1.0-2.7.2-r5.19.lib32_x86, core.bb).
Core.bb is our own implementation that packages this file. While building
final image, do_rootfs() complains that there is a conflict and errors
out.

error: file /usr/lib/libpython2.7.so.1.0 conflicts between attempted
installs of core-1.0-r0.lib32_n9000 and
libpython2.7-1.0-2.7.2-r5.19.lib32_x86

Is it okay to add below variable to denote that I want to ignore content
of libpython2.7 and use the item provided by core? Or is below syntax
wrong? I keep getting above error, so looking for some help to resolve
this.

PREFERRED_PROVIDER_libpython2.7.so.1.0 ?= "core"

Vinodh