[yocto] GStreamer1.0 : gstreamer1.0-plugins-* doesn't extract the codec libraries into GStreamer library path

Mohd Azril Ahmad mohd.azril.ahmad at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 23:49:56 PST 2014

Hi all,

I have successfully built the Yocto with multilib environment by using the
meta-intel BSP (ValleyIsland). Plus, I'm including the GStreamer1.0 base +
VAAPI as my default video player.

During the boot-up time, I've noticed that the GStreamer1.0-plugin
libraries (good, bad, and ugly) are not extracted into the GST library path
(/usr/lib64/gstreamer-1.0/).

**On first, I was looking for "libgstisomp4.so" (to play video with qtdemux
pipeline) but gst-inspect-1.0 returns nothing.

After some investigations, I've observed that the bitbake (.bb) and include
(.inc) recipe for gstreamer1.0-plugins-<good/bad/ugly> does not package out
the *.so files and I have no choice but to force a .bbappend to install for
it by adding :

FILES_${PN} += "${libdir}/gstreamer-1.0/*.so"

My question here, why the plugin libraries are not extracted ? is it due to
multilib environment ? or missing packaging steps in default recipe ?

Please advise ..

Thanks.

Regards,
Azril