[yocto] Export bitbake variables between recipes

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Tue Dec 2 06:06:51 PST 2014

Hi Fabrice,

On Tuesday 02 December 2014 14:07:40 Fabrice Coulon wrote:
> Is it possible to export one bitbake variable from one recipe and make it
> available from inside another recipe? For example: we want to export
> from our systemd_%.bbappend where the systemctl command has been installed,
> in order to, from another recipe depending on systemd, refer to the absolute
> path where systemctl was installed. Any ideas or suggestions on how to do
> that?

There's no mechanism to do this, no. The only way for this kind of thing to
work is for it to be specified at the configuration level (e.g. ${bindir} points
to the subdirectory /usr/bin and this variable would be used both when
choosing where the executable should be installed and finding it later - this
would typically be how this kind of problem would be solved since it would be
unusual to have systemctl installed somewhere other than ${bindir}).

(Another alternative is pkg-config, but I don't think that really applies in
this situation.)

Cheers,
Paul

--