[yocto] Kernel driver for Turbosight TBS6285 DVB card

Chris Tapp opensource at keylevel.com
Thu Aug 21 12:11:02 PDT 2014

On 21 Aug 2014, at 19:28, Bruce Ashfield <bruce.ashfield at windriver.com> wrote:

> On 14-08-21 04:17 AM, Chris Tapp wrote:

>>> Hmm. The target arch should be used for this build. Are you enabling a
>>> multi lib config
>>> as well ?
>> Not that I know of ;-)
>>
>> The build uses a .version file to specify the kernel. The top makefile creates this using 'uname -r' by default. I can run 'make dir DIR="..." in do_configure() to specify the path to the yocto kernel files, which seems to fix this (after modifying another makefile, which prepends "../" to the DIR path).
>
> Definite host contamination there. You likely want the code, but
> not the build infrastructure in this case.
>

>>>  2) Everything appears to build if I target 64-bit, but the installer tries to modify /lib/modules/3.2.0-67/..., which is also part of the host.
>>>
>>> Do the Makefile's that come in that archive (I haven't gone to look)
>>> have a custom
>>> install rule ? If so, that's likely the problem. If the kernel's build
>>> system is triggered
>>> (i.e. the makefile follows the conventions), everything will be
>>> installed to the proper
>>> location.
>> The installer uses DESTDIR to select the installation path - I've not worked out how this gets set yet or how I can set it from within my recipe.
>>
>> Is there a trick I can use to get the kernel's build system to manage things?
>
> In this case, you really need to replace (or patch) the existing Makefile
> that comes with the package.
>
> The hello-mod example I pointed out has makefile that shows the right
> definitions to allow the kernel's build system to enter the directory, build
> and install the modules.

I've made some good progress, but still not quite there.

I've got a do_compile() that basically does:

  make DIR=${STAGING_KERNEL_DIR}

The appears to build the modules correctly - testing will tell ;-)

I've then got similar in do_install():

  make DIR=${STAGING_KERNEL_DIR} DESTDIR=${D}

That's 99% there - the modules get put in image/lib/modules/3.10.40-ltsi/...
They should be in image/lib/modules/3.10.40-ltsi-yocto-standard/... - not sure yet how to fix this one.

There is also a packaging QA issue causing a build failure (some files aren't used), but an INSANE_SKIP installed-vs-shipped fixes that one for now.

--

Chris Tapp
opensource at keylevel.com
www.keylevel.com