[yocto] Kernel driver for Turbosight TBS6285 DVB card

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 21:08:45 PDT 2014

On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 4:11 PM, Chris Tapp <opensource at keylevel.com> wrote:
> Hi Bruce,
>
> Thanks for the feedback.
>
> On 20 Aug 2014, at 03:08, Bruce Ashfield <bruce.ashfield at windriver.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2014-08-19, 5:26 PM, Chris Tapp wrote:
>>> I need to include the kernel driver for the Turbosight TBS6285 DVB card in an image.
>>>
>>> The official bundle at http://www.tbsdtv.com/download/document/common/tbs-linux-drivers_v140707.zip includes the drivers and a load of other "stuff" (e.g. a full V4L build).
>>>
>>> LinuxTV.org have the drivers extracted into a .tar.bz2 at (e.g.) http://linuxtv.org/downloads/drivers/linux-media-LATEST.tar.bz2, so I plan to use this as the download source.
>
> This bit is wrong - I need to use the .tar.bz within the .zip.
>

>>> So far I have a recipe which downloads from this URL and extracts the files into the work area and ${WORKAREA}/drivers/media includes a Makefile and Kconfig.
>>>
>>> I've looked at the Yocto documentation, but this doesn't seem to be a good match for the "Out of tree" kernel module case.
>>
>> Hmm. At a glance, I'd say that it does sound like a typical out of
>> tree module build.
>
> Ah, ok - to my (untrained) eye the use-case looked completely different based on the example.
>
>> Did you try adopting the meta-skeleton hello-mod recipe and point it
>> at that source directory ?
>
> I have now (with the above change). However, it looks as if something within the build is referencing the host file system when building.
>
> I'm building for ValleyIsland 32-bit:
>
>   1) If I configure the drivers for 32-bit there is a linker error complaining that elf 32 and elf 64 aren't compatible (host is 64 bit);

Hmm. The target arch should be used for this build. Are you enabling a
multi lib config
as well ?

>   2) Everything appears to build if I target 64-bit, but the installer tries to modify /lib/modules/3.2.0-67/..., which is also part of the host.

Do the Makefile's that come in that archive (I haven't gone to look)
have a custom
install rule ? If so, that's likely the problem. If the kernel's build
system is triggered
(i.e. the makefile follows the conventions), everything will be
installed to the proper
location.

Bruce

> Looks like I need a patch ;-) Any pointers to where I should be looking would be appreciated as this isn't my normal area...
>
> --
>
> Chris Tapp
> opensource at keylevel.com
> www.keylevel.com