[yocto] Creating an system installer/updater image

J.T. Conklin jtc at acorntoolworks.com
Mon Aug 18 22:10:08 PDT 2014

I've created an image recipe that builds an image that runs under qemu
or from a "live" CD on a generic x86-64 server.

I'd like to create an installer/updater CD/USB stick that partitions,
formats, and installs the kernel and the set of packages from the above
image onto the server's hard disk.

The core-image-minimal-initramfs.bb recipe builds an image which
contains partitioning and formatting tools and install scripts.  The
install script partitions and formats the hard disk, then mounts the
/media filesystem (I assume this would be the same CD containing the
initramfs / install kernel), copies a different kernel and unpacks a
root filesystem image to the system's hard disk.

Aside from using a kernel image and root filesystem instead of a
kernel image and discrete packages, this looks to be pretty much
what I want to do.

However, it's not immediately clear to me how to connect the dots
between the build artifacts built for the production image and creating
CD install media containing the initramfs image and those artifacts.

Is there a example of this (taking artifacts from one build and using
them in another)? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

   --jtc

--
J.T. Conklin