[yocto] Fix for meta-oe/recipes-graphics/fbida/fbida_git.bb

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Mon Aug 18 07:48:52 PDT 2014

Hi Jens,

On Sunday 17 August 2014 20:06:10 Jens Rehsack wrote:
> Am 17.08.2014 um 19:39 schrieb Martin Jansa <martin.jansa at gmail.com>:
> > On Sun, Aug 17, 2014 at 05:02:39PM +0200, Jens Rehsack wrote:
> >> we played a bit with some tools before using a modified psplash to show
> >> some guidance on hdmi-fb and there was an error in fbida which wrongly
> >> mixes host-paths and target paths. Additionally - for Poky or OE it's
> >> unnecessary to guess additional path to check - recipes will do
> >> correctly.
> >
> > Please follow README and send it as inline patch to oe-devel ML.
> >
> > Thanks
>
> Hi Martin,
>
> 1) I do not send inline-patches
> 2) I do not subscribe to more mailing lists just to send patches.
>
> Either it's helpful and maintainers accept it or it's not and when one uses
> a search engine one applies it locally.

You do want to avoid carrying these patches yourself indefinitely, right?
If so, you'd rather they got merged rather than being missed by the maintainer
because they weren't in the expected place or format - right?

The way we accept and review patches is via our mailing lists; and we have to
have more than one list because of the sheer volume of patches and discussion.
Unfortunately we also have to force subscription in order to protect ourselves
from spam. However, it's worth noting that you don't actually need to receive
emails from the list in order to be subscribed - you can disable delivery in
your account options.

The procedures we have in place do require just a little bit more work on the
part of the submitter, but that does translate to a huge reduction in work for
the maintainers; and preserving our maintainers' sanity is important if we
want to keep the system maintained ;)

Cheers,
Paul

--