[yocto] How to modify busybox

Nicolas Dechesne nicolas.dechesne at linaro.org
Wed Aug 13 22:35:35 PDT 2014

On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 7:19 AM, Rich Wilson <richaw at gmail.com> wrote:
> In order to modify busybox, my googling seems to indicate this
> can be done with
> bitbake -c menuconfig busybox
> When I do so, a window pops up and some compiling seems to
> happen, but I am never presented with the menuconfig app.

well, that should not be like this... however, see below.

> How do I modify busybox?
>
> What I really want is the httpd app in busybox. There is a bunch of code in
> busybox.inc that I don't understand. My naive attempt at using it was adding
> IMAGE_INSTALL_append = " busybox-httpd"
> to local.conf, but that yielded
>
> Error: busybox-httpd not found in the base feeds (zedboard_zynq7 zynq
> armv7a-vfp-neon armv7a-vfp armv7a armv6-vfp armv6 armv5e-vfp armv5e
> armv5-vfp armv5 armv4 arm noarch any all).

to modify busybox config file, you can either create your own
(menuconfig or even do it independently of bitbake) and add it to your
layer with a bbappend, *or* for most simple change you can use a
configuration fragments (like for the kernel, see [1]). httpd is not
enabled in the default config in oe-core, so the busybox-httpd is not
created by default, as you've seen.

you can find a example of a config frament that enabled httpd in [2],
you just need to use a .bbappend that adds this file in SRC_URI.

[1] http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/current/dev-manual/dev-manual.html#creating-config-fragments
[2] https://git.linaro.org/openembedded/meta-linaro.git/blob/HEAD:/meta-linaro-integration/recipes-core/busybox/files/linaro.cfg