[yocto] Automatic upgrade helper

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Tue Aug 12 08:19:41 PDT 2014

Hi folks,

I'd like to announce the immediate availability of the Automatic Upgrade
Helper, a tool for automating the task of upgrading recipes when a new
upstream release occurs. It utilises the build system to check if a new
version of the software built by a particular recipe is available, and if it
is, it will attempt to upgrade the recipe to build that new version. The
outcome of the process is emailed to the maintainer of the recipe along with a
patch to do the upgrade, so that they can send the patch to be merged (if the
build succeeded with no warnings) or develop the patch further if problems
occurred.

The tool is available in the following repository:

  http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/auto-upgrade-helper/

Currently it builds upon distrodata.bbclass in order to do the upstream
version checking, but in future we'd like to make better use of BitBake's
fetcher to do this and also move some of the additional metadata out of inc
files and into recipes as appropriate. There's probably other things we could
do to make the tool more flexible in future as well. Feedback / contributions
welcome.

(Thanks to Laurentiu Palcu & Marius Avram who did all of the work on this
tool.)

Cheers,
Paul

--