[yocto] Problems building SDK

Gary Thomas gary at mlbassoc.com
Mon Aug 11 09:32:39 PDT 2014

As I reported on Friday (2014-08-08), I was having issues
installing an SDK I had built (xargs overflow).  Today, I
tried patching the appropriate .bbclass to change this behaviour
and rebuilt the SDK.  Sadly, this is now failing miserably.
It seems that there are pieces of the SDK left over from
last Friday that are conflicting with my builds of today.

First note that I have these variables set in my $DISTRO:
   DISTRO = "mydistro"
   DISTRO_NAME = "My distribution"
   MYDISTRO_DATE = "${DATE}"
   DISTRO_VERSION = "1.6+snapshot-${MYDISTRO_DATE}"
   SDK_VENDOR = "-mydistrosdk"
   SDK_VERSION = "${DISTRO_VERSION}"
   SDK_NAME = "${DISTRO}-${TCLIBC}-${SDK_ARCH}-${TARGET_ARCH}"
   SDKPATH = "/opt/${DISTRO}/${SDK_VERSION}"

When I build an SDK today, it gets confused because ${DISTRO_VERSION}
is date-stamped.  I can see that some pieces are being placed in
a directory with last Friday's date, others with today's date:
   $ ls -l tmp/work/teton_p0382-mydistro-linux-gnueabi/mydistro-console-image/1.0-r0/sdk/image/opt/mydistro/
   total 8
   drwxr-xr-x 3 gthomas gthomas 4096 Aug  8 15:41 1.6+snapshot-20140808
   drwxr-xr-x 3 gthomas gthomas 4096 Aug 11 10:18 1.6+snapshot-20140811
Now when the SDK is packed up into the tar file, some bits are being
left out, etc, which leads to a broken SDK.

I'd like to keep the SDK date-stamped (in fact, I think I got this
idea from the Poky $DISTRO years ago) if possible.  Should this be
able to work, or should I just give up on the date-stamp?