[yocto] what are the *required* variables for defining a new distro?

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Tue Aug 5 05:01:01 PDT 2014

Hi Robert,

On Monday 04 August 2014 05:52:11 Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>   i asked about this on OE list but since this affects the yocto dev
> manual, i thought i'd ask here as well as i can fold the result into
> another doc patch.
>
>   section 5.10 of dev manual:
>
> http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/latest/dev-manual/dev-manual.html#creating-> your-own-distribution
>
> claims:
>
>   Your [new distro] configuration file needs to set the following
> required variables:
>
>      DISTRO_NAME
>      DISTRO_VERSION
>
>   i don't think that's true -- i don't think it's *required* for a
> distro conf file to set DISTRO_NAME. can someone verify what variables
> are mandatory for a new distro configuration file?

The bottom line is, if you mean "which variables must I set in my distro config
or my build will blow up?" - there aren't any; we already have reasonable
defaults for all of the critical stuff, so the distro config mostly only needs
to change the things you want to be different. DISTRO_NAME and DISTRO_VERSION
are the minimum of variables that you'd *want* to set, though.

Cheers,
Paul

--

Paul Eggleton