[yocto] what is the long-term plan for YP and eglibc?

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Fri Aug 1 02:53:19 PDT 2014

Hi Robert,

On Friday 01 August 2014 05:38:07 Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>   at the YP resources page for eglibc:
>
> https://www.yoctoproject.org/tools-resources/projects/eglibc
>
> one reads:
>
> "The Yocto Project encourages interested parties to get involved with
> the EGLIBC project. More information is at http://eglibc.org."

That might now be out of date in view of upstream developments.

>   but following that link, one learns:
>
> "EGLIBC is no longer developed and such goals are now being addressed
> directly in GLIBC."

The long-term (even medium-term) plan is to switch back to glibc. We do still
rely on some of the functionality in eglibc that hasn't been incorporated back
into glibc though, e.g. poky-tiny uses eglibc's fine-grained component
selection, so it's not necessarily a straightforward switch. Mostly I think
we're waiting on some of Khem's (and probably other folks) time to sort this
out.

Cheers,
Paul

--