[yocto] Exporting kernel header from patch

Vuille, Martin (Martin) vmartin at avaya.com
Thu Apr 24 08:57:15 PDT 2014

I have a custom layer to add patches to my vendor's BSP layer
(based on Linux 3.4, if it matters) and a .bbappend to list the
patches.

One of the patches adds a header, and this header needs to
be exported to the sysroot.

I added the following to my .bbappend, based on a discussion
I found:

do_install_append() {
    install -d ${D}${includedir}/linux
    install -m 644 ${S}/include/linux/uc1698u.h ${D}${includedir}/linux/uc1698u.h
}

It "works" (i.e., the header is installed in the sysroot) but there must
be more to it than that because I also get a warning about the header
being "installed but not shipped in any package".

What's the correct way to do this?

MV