[yocto] Getting USB devices to work on BeagleBoard xM

Jeremy Cole-Baker jeremy at rhtech.co.nz
Tue Apr 15 15:13:04 PDT 2014

Hi,

I've managed to build a couple of different recipes for my BeagleBoard
(BeagleBoard xM Rev C), and also had a go at customising it.  I think
I've tried core-image-minimal and core-image-basic.

The build works OK, and I can set up my micro SD card and get it to
boot. I see lots of messages about loading drivers during boot, and I
can log in to linux.

However, the USB devices don't seem to be working. The built in
USB-Ethernet isn't there, and when I plug in a USB stick nothing happens
- nothing in /dev/ and no messages in the system log.

I don't know whether this is something I missed in the build, or some
configuration I need to do. I also don't know whether it is specific to
the Beagle or a general problem. Unfortunately I am new to Kernel builds
and device drivers.

Here's what I've looked into:

The boot-up messages indicate that the USB drivers are loaded, e.g.:

<snip>
usbcore: registered new interface driver usbfs
usbcore: registered new interface driver hub
usbcore: registered new device driver usb
usbcore: registered new interface driver smsc75xx
usbcore: registered new interface driver smsc95xx
...etc

(I think smsc95xx is the USB-Ethernet chip on the beagle board xM).

ehci_hcd: USB 2.0 'Enhanced' Host Controller (EHCI) Driver
ehci-omap: OMAP-EHCI Host Controller driver
ehci-omap 48064800.ehci: EHCI Host Controller
ehci-omap 48064800.ehci: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
ehci-omap 48064800.ehci: irq 93, io mem 0x48064800
ehci-omap 48064800.ehci: USB 2.0 started, EHCI 1.00
hub 1-0:1.0: USB hub found
hub 1-0:1.0: 3 ports detected
usbcore: registered new interface driver usb-storage
musb-hdrc musb-hdrc.0.auto: musb_init_controller failed with status -6
mousedev: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
...Etc

There's a modprobe error which occurs a couple of times:

udevd[71]: starting version 175
modprobe: chdir(3.10.11-yocto-standard): No such file or directory

I also saw errors from the ethernet subsystem (?), along the lines of
"eth0: device not found" and "usb0: device not found". This occurred
during boot and also when I used "ifup eth0". I'm actually seeing a
different error now: "ifconfig: SIOCGIFFLAGS: No such device". In either
case, I think it's because something to do with the actual USB hardware
is missing or not configured.

"lsmod" shows no modules loaded, i.e.:

root at beagleboard:~#lsmod
Module Size Used by
root at beagleboard:~#

Does this mean that the various device drivers, etc, above are built in
to the kernel?

Any suggestions for how to diagnose / fix this problem? Anybody else
have experience with the BeagleBoard xM? I'm a bit lost.

Thanks!

--
Riverhead Technology
Jeremy Cole-Baker