[yocto] ADT/SDK and cmake - generating the toolchain/cmake config

Jonathan Austin jonathan.austin at arm.com
Fri Apr 11 08:23:12 PDT 2014

Hi Philip,

On 02/04/14 01:49, Philip Balister wrote:
> On 04/01/2014 09:22 AM, Jonathan Austin wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> The ADT documentation walks you through building an 'app' using
>> autoconf/make, and the environment setup script that is created as part
>> of the SDK build contains all the necessary autofoo/environment
>> variables. This is great, and I've worked through the autotools example
>> happily. Thanks :)
>>
>> What I can't find, though, is anything that does the equivalent for
>> cmake. I'm new to cmake so could be missing something obvious, but after
>> seeing the 'environment-setup-TARGET' files (the ones at
>> /opt/poky/1.5.1/) I thought there might also be a cmake toolchain file
>> (toolchain-TARGET.cmake, for example) or some other cmake-foo.
>>
>> I can see that cmake support was merged for Eclipse/ADT, so it seems
>> like cmake could be supported 'outside the IDE', but I can't quite see
>> how what I ought to twiddle to do this. I found the tantalizingly named
>> 'cmake_do_generate_toolchain_file()' and all the other relevant stuff in
>> meta/classes/cmake.bbclass, but I don't know what the 'right' way to
>> propagate all that stuff into the SDK/ADT would be.
>>
>> Any help with getting started would be greatly appreciated.
>
> This toolchain file builds gnuradio from an SDK:
>
> https://github.com/gnuradio/gnuradio/blob/master/cmake/Toolchains/oe-sdk_cross.cmake

That looks great, thanks.

I did run into problems with the CC and CXX strings, as for me those
include lots of flags (ie spaces, confusing the CMake foo). I ended up
adding new environment variables just for CMAKE to the environment setup
file - what did you do for those? I basically used the same approach as
is used in cmake.bbclass.

Jonny