[yocto] Ext3 rootfs Corrupted during do_rootfs

Darcy Watkins darcy at xstreamworship.com
Mon Apr 7 22:21:39 PDT 2014

On Mon, 2014-04-07 at 18:02 -0700, Darcy Watkins wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I think I may have encountered the same issue as reported originally on
> the meta freescale list...
> https://lists.yoctoproject.org/pipermail/meta-freescale/2014-February/006928.html
> ...and...
> https://lists.yoctoproject.org/pipermail/meta-freescale/2014-February/007086.html
--snip!--

Found a workaround!  I set the IMAGE_ROOTFS_EXTRA_SPACE to a nice 128M
margin and got everything working OK.

So it would appear that the rootfs size estimation algorithm
underestimates the needed size.  Perhaps using 'du' on the build host
results in variances between how it lays out on the host versus the
filesystem being constructed for the target.

The algorithm includes a margin for error, so we run into trouble when
the variances accumulate to exceed this margin.

Perhaps worse than any of this is that the populate-extfs.sh script
didn't catch the failures to exit with an error code (i.e. to break the
build rather than leave a corrupt rootfs).

Hopefully this info helps.

I have observed symptoms of the filesystem corrupted this way as any of:
 - kernel boots but unable to complete init because things are missing
 - numerous error messages about commands missing during startup
 - a seemingly random file at a path that should be a directory
 - files in wrong location, usually closer to the root directory
 - broken symlinks
 - commands / programs / libraries missing

--

Regards,

Darcy

http://xstreamworship.com