[yocto] Is Python Tkinter available for Yocto

Jens Lucius jenslucius at freenet.de
Fri Apr 4 08:36:47 PDT 2014

Am 04.04.2014 16:42, schrieb Gary Thomas:
> On 2014-04-04 08:34, Jens Lucius wrote:
>>> I am a little bit confused if Python Tkinter is included as a package for python in the Yocto system.
>>>
>>> - There is a patch for python recipe called "avoid_warning_about_tkinter.patch" which states "_tkinter module needs tk module along with tcl. tk is not yet integrated in yocto so
>>> we skip the check for this module. Avoid a warning by not adding this module to missing variable."
>>> - I have included in my recipe: "python-core python-tkinter" which gave no error, but no tkinter installed and I have tried including "python-core python-modules" which gave me a
>>> lot of python modules, but still no tkinter. (tried "from Tkinter import *" which gave an error and no tkinter in /usr/lib/python2.7)
>>>
>>> Do I manually need to install another package? Is it included or not? Do I need to do my own recipe?
>> To answer my own question:
>>
>> Yes Tkinter is included in Python build but as the patch states it needs tcl as well as tk with tcl already included in Yocto and tk not.
>>
>> Andrei Gherzan wrote a .bb for OE-Core for tk version 8.5.11 which did work for me after bumping it to the latest version 8.6.1.
>>
>> If anybody needs it or wants to integrate it in Yocto here is the bb: (just remember to include tk and tcl in your build or add dependencies for them in python).
>>
>> http://pastebin.com/tRGk0U0c
> Note: there was already a recipe for tk 8.6.0 in meta-oe (always a
> good place to check for missing pieces before crafting your own)

Actually there is. Don´t know why I missed that. I just started with
yocto this week and still get confused where to best look for recipes.
There is the old openembedded, meta-oe, oe-core/meta, yocto and some are
floating around in other gits. Would be really nice to have one place to go.

But thanks again for pointing to the meta-oe where I will also look for
recipes in the future.