[yocto] [OE-core] [oe] initial support for musl libc with OE/Yocto Project

Paul Barker paul at paulbarker.me.uk
Wed Apr 2 10:27:40 PDT 2014

On 2 April 2014 18:13, Khem Raj <raj.khem at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 10:03 AM, Paul Barker <paul at paulbarker.me.uk> wrote:
>> You've fixed util-linux in a different way to me, I added qsort_r to
>> musl
>
> this won't fly in musl community.
>
> whereas you've removed it's use from util-linux. I'm not bothered
>> which one we use if both work. We do now have 4 people looking at
>> util-linux fixes: Me, you and Robert Yang (as util-linux-native
>> doesn't build on Centos 5.10 due to the same qsort_r usage) here in
>> oe-core and Karel Zak from upstream (as they want to fix it for their
>> next release). I think we need to pick one fix (probably yours if it's
>> tested and working in another distro) and get it applied to oe-core
>> master.
>
> yes, I think not using qsort_r is common solution for all these issues.

Ok, sounds good. Could we split this out and send it to the mailing
list on its own for now? It's much better than the patch that's
currently in oe-core.

>> Your latest commit "glibc-2.0: Fix build issues that arise on musl"
>> should say glib not glibc. Other than that, your glib fix is better
>> than mine (I did add <string.h> but didn't add the
>> '--with-libiconv=gnu' option, instead I set musl as the provider of
>> virtual/libiconv).
>
> in order to build a lot of software we would need some sort of iconv
> implementation
> letting musl to provide it is probably ok too but I wanted  to take
> the tested path to get
> to an image to build and then we have a known baseline and we could
> experiment more.

I'd like to see both as options but I agree we should get an image
working in the simplest way possible first.

I'm really impressed with how fast this is moving forward so don't
take my comments as in any way negative!

--
Paul Barker

Email: paul at paulbarker.me.uk
http://www.paulbarker.me.uk