[yocto] Question about automatic debug package generation

Nicolas Dechesne nicolas.dechesne at linaro.org
Fri Sep 27 00:11:36 PDT 2013

On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 8:49 AM, Hans Beckérus <hans.beckerus at gmail.com>wrote:

> Actually, I have a related question. If you choose to install -dbg
> variants, you will get a .debug folder copied to the target.
> That .debug folder can then be pointed out by debuggers etc. to get
> the symbol information, right?
> How can the package handler know what files to strip? Does it use some
> simple file magic match? I have a case now for which I made a set of
> working recipes for Erlang. Erlang .beam files also contain symbols
> that can be stripped, but not the conventional way. I guess I need to
> add something to the do_package phase to compensate for that, but will
> it interfere with what is done in package.bbclass?

it would strip 'unstripped ELF files' that are found in the install
directory, and kernel modules too. there is some logic to get the list of
all files that need to be stripped in the function i mentioned above. you
cannot give a list of 'additional' files that need to be stripped.

if you need to strip with unconventional strip tools, you can surely do
that in your own recipe (or class), and modify FILES_{PN}-dbg to include
those, assuming you don't process the same files than package.bbclass,
there shouldn't be any issue.