[yocto] Is it possible to add machine specific changes in a separate custom layer?

Felix01 Fischer felix01.fischer at iav.de
Mon Sep 23 09:40:19 PDT 2013

Hello,
My goal is to build a custom-layer which supports 2 devices building on
top of the meta-intel and meta-ivi layer without changing anything except
my meta-custom layer.

Is it possible to have machine specific changes in a separate layer
building on top of  another layer?
I want to costumise meta-intel/meta-crownbay and
meta-intel/meta-chiefriver without changing something inside the
meta-intel layer.
My goal is to have modifications for the meta-intel layer in a meta-custom
layer, which only get considered if a certain MACHINE ?= "XXXX"  (crownbay
or chiefriver) from the meta-intel layer is set.
Is this possible?
I have the same question regarding DISTRO. I want some changes to be
considered if DISTRO = poky and some other changes when DISTRO =
poky-ivi-systemd.
Is it possible to maintain these modifications in ONE custom layer or do I
need to have seperate layers (one for poky, one for poky-ivi-systemd and
machine specific changes inside the meta-intel layer)?
I would like to change nothing in the "official" yocto-layers and handle
everything in a custom layer, but right now I don't know how to do that.

Regards,
Felix

Viele Grüße

Felix Fischer

Studentischer Mitarbeiter (VC-D1)
Vehicle Cockpit Electronics Devices

IAV GmbH
Carnotstr. 1
10587 BERLIN
GERMANY

Phone: +49 30 39978-9540
Fax:      +49 30 39978-9411
E-Mail:  <mailto:felix01.fischer at iav.de>
Internet: http://www.iav.com

Sitz/Registered Office: Berlin,
Registergericht/Registration Court: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg,
Registernummer/Company Registration Number: HRB 21 280,
Geschäftsführer/Managing Directors: Kurt Blumenröder, Michael Schubert,
Dr. Rüdiger Goyk
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates/Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Dr.
Harald Ludanek