[yocto] package development recompile and install to rootfs

Karl Hiramoto karl at hiramoto.org
Thu Sep 12 02:57:47 PDT 2013

Hi,

I'm looking for a faster way  to recompile and install my package to my
rootfs.   I am currently developing on a ARM board, and I'm booting the
kernel and loading the rootfs over NFS.  I point the nfs root to
/home/karl/Work/yocto/poky-dylan-9.0.1/build/tmp/work/mymachine-poky-linux-gnueabi/mymachine-image/1.0-r0/rootfs

in my custom "mypackage.bb" recipe I have:

DESCRIPTION = "mypackage"
SECTION = "base"
LICENSE = "CLOSED"
DEPENDS = "libnl jansson file"
SRCREV = "HEAD"
PR = "r0"
inherit autotools pkgconfig externalsrc
S = "/home/karl/Work/mypackage"

So to compile and reinstall mypackage i do:
bitbake -v mypackage -c clean -f  && bitbake -v mypackage -c install -f
&& bitbake -v mymachine-image

The mymachine-image  deletes and recreates the rootfs, which is
lengthly.  After i do this, I need to reboot my  target board, so the
nfsroot gets remounted.

Is there any way to quickly get  mypackage  installed on the rootfs?
I'd like to be able to quickly recompile/link mypackage after changing a
few lines of code.

I could write a script to copy the binaries over but I'm wondering if
there is an easier way.

Thanks,

Karl