[yocto] Can anything be done about do_rootfs speed?

Paul D. DeRocco pderocco at ix.netcom.com
Wed Sep 4 16:50:23 PDT 2013

> From: Samuel Stirtzel
>
> If you change:
>
> COMPRESS_CMD_gz = "gzip -f -9 -c ${IMAGE_NAME}.rootfs.${type} >
> ${IMAGE_NAME}.rootfs.${type}.gz"
> COMPRESS_CMD_bz2 = "bzip2 -f -k ${IMAGE_NAME}.rootfs.${type}"
>
> in [...]/meta/classes/image_types.bbclass, then can try
> pbzip2 / pigz.

This raises a question that has come up for me before: is there a way to
override something in a .bbclass, without just editing the file and
therefore losing it whenever new metadata is released? I really have
little sense of the order in which things are read or obeyed in the whole
bitbake process. Those variables look like they're read by the
get_imagecmds() script; is there an opportunity for a recipe to change the
value of COMPRESS_CMD_gz or _bz2 after it's defined, but before that
script gets called?

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco
Paul                mailto:pderocco at ix.netcom.com