[yocto] Adding Custom Files to Build

Leo Schwab lschwab at sensity.com
Thu Oct 31 13:28:27 PDT 2013

This may seem rather basic, but something that I haven't been able to
find any clear discussion on is how to add or modify files in the
final rootfs image.

We have customized versions of /etc/network/interfaces and
/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf, with more to come.  Right now I've been
adding them by hand to the SD cards, but I would prefer they were
added to the rootfs and the .sdcard images as part of the build.

I briefly considered creating a .bbappend file to modify the build for
the wpa_supplicant.bb recipe, but it turns out that
/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf itself comes from a custom file inside the
recipe, and it wasn't at all clear how to hook in or override that.

I also get the impression that writing a recipe that simply copies
stuff to final image will get me yelled at by the build system, since
I'm overwriting files already provided by another recipe.

Schwab