[yocto] Mono 2.10.8.1 (meta-mono) Corelib not in sync with runtime...

Alex J Lennon ajlennon at dynamicdevices.co.uk
Thu Oct 31 09:44:34 PDT 2013

On 09/10/2013 20:52, Ryan Kirkpatrick wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Oct 2013, Paul Eggleton wrote:
>
>> Have you sent these fixes to the layer maintainer - Autif Khan
>> (autif.mlist at gmail.com) ? It would be good to get those integrated.
> Yes, I did shortly after my post to the list, but I have not heard any
> response.
>
> Since then I have run into some issues with Mono v2.10 itself and my
> company's existing (proprietary) code base. It is an odd issue around
> events and a complex class hierarchy that I had encountered in the past
> with Mono v2.4 (but not v2.2). I traced it down to a single change in Mono
> and backed out that change for the previous product (an embedded server).
> I did report it to the Mono list at that time, but there was no simple
> test case I could share.
>
> Anyway, I did a quick test with Mono v3.2 (from their web site on OS X)
> and the issues were no longer present. Hence, for the new product that I
> plan to use Yocto to develop, I am going to use Mono v3.2. Of course the
> current Mono layer has a lot more than we need (which is only the runtime
> and corelib, no X, xsp, etc...) but only includes support through v2.11. I
> am currently considering whether updating the existing meta-mono layer for
> v3.2 or just writing a quick recipe for just want we need from Mono.
>
> This is complicated by a quick attempt to build the existing Mono layer
> for ARM failing. The failure was on the ARM objcopy not knowing what to do
> with mcs.exe.so as it is .NET assembly wrapped as an i386 shared object.
> This was during the generation of the debug package files, so looks like
> that process needs to be tweaked to understand this special case.

Hi Ryan - I've built Mono out of meta-mono for a couple of different
targets in the past
and am revisiting now for a mesh edge gateway we're working on here.

I see that Mono no longer seems to be building against Yocto head /
qemux86 (for me
at least) and am considering looking at a recipe to build the current
release of Mono
whilst I dig into why this is.

I wondered if you'd made any progress with this at all in the past few
weeks?

Thanks / Best Regards,

Alex

> I would welcome any advice on how to proceed with Mono v3.2 recipes and
> for building on ARM. Thanks!

Dynamic Devices Ltd <http://www.dynamicdevices.co.uk/>

Alex J Lennon / Director
1 Queensway, Liverpool L22 4RA

mobile: +44 (0)7956 668178

Linkedin <http://www.linkedin.com/in/alexjlennon> Skype
<skype:alexjlennon?add>

This e-mail message may contain confidential or legally privileged
information and is intended only for the use of the intended
recipient(s). Any unauthorized disclosure, dissemination, distribution,
copying or the taking of any action in reliance on the information
herein is prohibited. E-mails are not secure and cannot be guaranteed to
be error free as they can be intercepted, amended, or contain viruses.
Anyone who communicates with us by e-mail is deemed to have accepted
these risks. Company Name is not responsible for errors or omissions in
this message and denies any responsibility for any damage arising from
the use of e-mail. Any opinion and other statement contained in this
message and any attachment are solely those of the author and do not
necessarily represent those of the company.