[yocto] SRCREV how is it supposed to work?

Hans Beckérus hans.beckerus at gmail.com
Tue Oct 29 06:27:30 PDT 2013

On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 12:00 PM, Martin Jansa <martin.jansa at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 12:46:18PM +0100, Hans Beckérus wrote:
>> Hi. I am wondering if we are using SRCREV wrong somehow.
>> Is it expected that if we use SRCREV = "${AUTOREV}", that any changes
>> to the remote should be automatically detected and downloaded/fetched?
>> I can no see that this is actually what happens. Any changes made to
>> the remote still need to be manually fetched or indirectly by stepping
>> the recipe revision.
>> Are we using SRCREV wrong or is this actually the way it is supposed
>> to work? Also, is there some way to force a download to me made every
>> single time by a recipe,
>> irrespective of if the remote changed or not?
>
> It's supposed to run git ls-remote while parsing to get latest revision
> in remote repo and then rebuild the package because of SRCPV change in
> PV, are you using something like:
>
> PV = "1.0+git${SRCPV}"
>
> ?

Nope. I did not know we had to use PV. Sounds like we need to in the
general case. But in this case,
we actually do not have versions on the package itself since it is
simply a container for several other binary packages merged into one
binary file.
So our "package" is downloading packages from several git repos,
stored in different folders using 'destsuffix'.
Would it be ok to simply set PV = "${SRCPV}" ? I guess this will
result in a new target folder for each changed remote? And will this
work when referring to several git repos in SRC_URI?
Since changes are expected to happen frequently some sort of
garbage-collection function is needed to get rid of all the obsolete
package trees. IIRC was there not an option for this somewhere?