[yocto] Can't get DEPENDS to trigger glib-2.0 or util-linux build

Bryan Evenson bevenson at melinkcorp.com
Tue Oct 22 06:44:06 PDT 2013

All,

I am on poky/dylan-9.0.1 (also have a yocto-autobuilder setup to use poky/dylan latest) and I have an application that I am writing that makes use of the GLib dynamic libraries and the uuid library built by util-linux.  When setting up the yocto-autobuilder, I discovered an issue with my recipe in that it is not forcing the glib-2.0 or util-linux to be built before it gets built.  I figured I had an issue with the DEPENDS or RDEPENDS settings for my recipe, but so far adjusting these recipe settings has not fixed the issue and I'm wondering what I am doing wrong.

As of now, my recipe has the following settings:

DEPENDS_${PN} = "virtual/kernel glib-2.0 util-linux"
RDEPENDS_${PN} = "tar php dosfstools libpam"
inherit autotools siteinfo update-rc.d

If I bitbake -c clean glib-2.0, util-linux and my recipe and then bitbake my recipe, the system does not attempt to build either glib-2.0 or util-linux before trying to configure my application.  As a result the configure step fails because it can't find the glib-2.0 or uuid libraries.  I also tried doing a cleansstate on glib-2.0, util-linux and my recipe before buidling my recipe and received the same results.  Here is some applicable output from the do_configure step of my recipe:

checking for arm-poky-linux-gnueabi-pkg-config... no
checking for pkg-config... /media/sda3/yocto-autobuilder/yocto-slave/nightly-foo/build/build/tmp/sysroots/i686-linux/usr/bin/pkg-config
configure: WARNING: using cross tools not prefixed with host triplet
checking for GLIB... no
configure: error: Package requirements (glib-2.0) were not met:

No package 'glib-2.0' found

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables GLIB_CFLAGS
and GLIB_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.

If I go ahead and call "bitbake glib-2.0 util-linux" before building my recipe, then my application builds without issue.  What did I forget to add to my recipe so the system builds the dependent packages first?

Thanks,
Bryan Evenson