[yocto] How Do I add users in /etc/passwd in Yocto

Amit Tomer amittomer25 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 22 01:30:22 PDT 2013

For some requirement I wante to add some new users in /etc/passwd .

I tried doing it in couple of way but none of it worked out well

I tried to patcth the /etc/passwd file but getting few errors while
bitbaking my image.

Paul Eggleton suggests me that patching /etc/passwd  file won't work

Then I tried doing it in below way

SRC_URI += "file://passwd"

do_install_append() {
install -d ${D}${sysconfdir}/base-passwd ${D}${sysconfdir}
passwd/passwd${STAGING_DIR_TARGET}${sysconfdir}/passwd

                    install -m 0644 ${WORKDIR}/passwd ${D}${sysconfdir}/passwd
}

 With above method I am able to add new user to /etc/passwd file

but testing this image gives me trouble and now when I login to board
it is asking password.

Now would like to know what are the ways to add new users in
/etc/passwd file in yocto.

Thanks
Amit