[yocto] is *anyone* using BBVERSIONS?

Chris Larson clarson at kergoth.com
Mon Oct 14 07:52:39 PDT 2013

On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 3:38 AM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca>wrote:

>   really more of a bitbake question but ... i'm also zipping through
> the inline user manual that comes with bitbake and in section 2.1.20,
> there is a discussion of Variants that includes:
>
> BBVERSIONS = "1.0 2.0 git"
> SRC_URI_git = "git://someurl/somepath.git"
>
> BBVERSIONS = "1.0.[0-6]:1.0.0+ \
>               1.0.[7-9]:1.0.7+"
> SRC_URI_append_1.0.7+ =
> "file://some_patch_which_the_new_versions_need.patch;patch=1"
>
>   i have over a dozen layers checked out, and i don't see the use of
> BBVERSIONS in *any* of them -- the only thing a recursive search turns
> up is BBVERSIONS being mentioned in the docs.
>
>   is this feature active? deprecated? just curious.

The idea was we could avoid scattering metadata across many files and
instead handle it the way we do with bbclassextend, but I don't think
anyone ever really used it, except me when I was implementing it :) I'm not
sure if it'll end up deprecated or not, but it wouldn't surprise me given
the lack of use.

If you want to see my testing repository where I was playing with this in
actual recipes, see https://gist.github.com/kergoth/338382 - where I was
working on teaching the system to be able to build every version of nano
that had been released, because I'm crazy like that.
--
Christopher Larson