[yocto] Cross Compile Kernel Modules

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at windriver.com
Fri Oct 4 21:45:05 PDT 2013

On 13-10-04 5:06 PM, Parker Mackenzie wrote:
> Bruce, No problem... you got me on the right path.
>
> Bitbake now completes successfully after adding python-core and bash to IMAGE_INSTALL_append.
>

> Looking again at the presentation it indicated I also needed to do the following:
> make oldconfig ARCH=arm
>   - This completed successfully
>
> make scripts ARCH=arm
>   - This fails with the following errors:
>
> [parker at jasper kernel]$ make scripts ARCH=arm
> scripts/kconfig/conf --silentoldconfig Kconfig
>    CC      scripts/mod/empty.o
> gcc: error: unrecognized command line option ‘-mlittle-endian’
> gcc: error: unrecognized command line option ‘-mapcs’
> gcc: error: unrecognized command line option ‘-mno-sched-prolog’
> gcc: error: unrecognized argument in option ‘-mabi=aapcs-linux’
> gcc: note: valid arguments to ‘-mabi=’ are: ms sysv
> gcc: error: unrecognized command line option ‘-mno-thumb-interwork’
> make[2]: *** [scripts/mod/empty.o] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [scripts/mod] Error 2
> make: *** [scripts] Error 2
>
> The cross compiler seems to be correct...:
> [parker at jasper kernel]$ echo $CC
> arm-poky-linux-gnueabi-gcc -march=armv7-a -mthumb-interwork -mfloat-abi=softfp -mfpu=neon --sysroot=/home/parker/Projects/beagleboard/yocto/poky-dylan-9.0.2/sdk/sysroots/armv7a-vfp-neon-poky-linux-gnueabi

But for the scripts, you won't be using the cross compiler, they are
native to your arch.

Check your environment, are CC and CFLAGS set ? How exactly are you
invoking that command (i.e. from where, just a shell in the kernel
source directory?). If non native flags and compiler is leaking into
the build, you'll get exactly the error that you are seeing.

 From the error, looks like the native gcc was used, and it was fed
the ARM flags. Not what it'll like :)

Cheers,

Bruce