[yocto] Fwd: OpenSSH pre login banner

Bryan Evenson bevenson at melinkcorp.com
Thu Oct 3 06:35:14 PDT 2013

Amit,

First, I suggest you change
PRINC = "4"
PRINC := "${@int(PRINC) + 1}"

This way your bbappend will always increment the PR to one more than the PR called out by the main recipe.  So if the openssh recipe would get updated and increment the PR, you do not have to change your bbappend.

Change
SRC_URI = "file://banner"
SRC_URI += "file://banner"

The += appends your banner file to the SRC_URI for the openssh recipe.  With your line, you are overriding all the SRC_URI for the entire openssh recipe and the openssh recipe will only include the banner file.  I've taken to the habit of writing the SRC_URI as follows:

SRC_URI += " \
file://banner \
"
just to ensure that words aren't joined together when my SRC_URI is appended to the existing one.  I don't know if this is strictly necessary, but it's not a bad habit.

Change
FILESEXTRAPATHS_prepend := "${THISDIR}/openssh-6.1p1:"
FILESEXTRAPATHS_prepend := "${THISDIR}:"

so Bitbake can find your banner file and sshd_config that you have in the same directory as the bbappend.

I can't remember if you get a warning if Bitbake can't find the license file at all or if it fails on each attempt through the filepath.  Since your new path is first, it won't find LICENCE in your layer since you didn't copy it.  Once way to quiet this warning would be to copy the license file to your directory.

-Bryan