[yocto] Can I extend split_and_strip_files() in packages.bbclass with Erlang beam support ?

Hans Beckérus hans.beckerus at gmail.com
Tue Oct 1 09:08:03 PDT 2013

Ok, so now I am at it again :) The package.bbclass is missing support
for stripping .beam files. Nothing strange about that.
But, now I wish to extend this class with support for erlang .beam
files. Initially I do not wish to add this functionality directly into
package.bbclass since it will require an erlang execution environment
+ an erlang escript to run. I do not know if we want that ;) Is it
possible to extend the split_and_strip_files() function in some other
way using eg the _append postfix? Since this function is a real a
beast (with good reason), copying it and making it a strict beam
detector (instead of elf) might not be the most attractive solution
though :( I assume I need to sneak in the beam stripping in the middle
of the processing somewhere since once split_and_strip_files() is
completed, actual packaging will commence, and after that it will be
too late.

Any ideas? Might patching package.bbclass be an alternative? In that
case, how to avoid dragging in an erlang-native dependency into
package.bbclass if it is not needed?
(also considering erlang is not yet officially supported by Yocto/OE-core).

Thanks.
Hans