[yocto] SPL_IMAGE, SPL_BINARY, and SPL_SYMLINK definitions

William Mills wmills at ti.com
Mon Nov 25 10:02:35 PST 2013

On 11/25/2013 09:06 AM, Rifenbark, Scott M wrote:
> Anyone have descriptions for these three variables?  I would like to document them and am wondering if anyone has used them or knows how they work.

SPL is the preloader for U-boot required on some platforms.

The base include for u-boot defines the SPL_IMAGE and SPL_SYMLINK
http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/poky/tree/meta/recipes-bsp/u-boot/u-boot.inc

One example of use of SPL_BINARY is here:
http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/meta-ti/tree/recipes-bsp/u-boot/u-boot_2011.12.bb

So the SPL_BINARY defines the name of the file in the filesystem image.
The SPL_IMAGE and SPL_SYMLINK appear to specific the long version
specific image file produced by the build and the somewhat shorter
symlink that points to it.  These will be in a machine specific dir on
the build machine; the same place the kernel is found.
(The kernel also gets a very long name and a symlink  you can reuse
wording from the description if you have that already.)