[yocto] RFC Autobuilder Naming

Michael Halstead michael at yoctoproject.org
Mon Nov 25 09:13:29 PST 2013

On 11/25/2013 07:01 AM, Paul Eggleton wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> On Friday 22 November 2013 15:43:58 Michael Halstead wrote:
>> Currently all builders are simply named ab00-ab13 based on when we
>> acquired them. The name doesn't change except for ab01 which has been
>> reused on new hardware. As we increase the number of builders and make
>> the build process more flexible this becomes inconvenient. I'd like to
>> switch to embedding useful information in the name.
>>
>> Going forward as I refresh builders I'd like to name them with their
>> distro and location.
>>
>> For example at OSL:
>>
>> fedora19.osl.yoctoproject.org
>> fedora20.osl.yoctoproject.org
>> opensuse131.osl.yoctoproject.org
>> ubuntu1310.osl.yoctoproject.org
>> etc.
>>
>> And if we added a build clusters in the EasyStreet datacenter in Portland:
>>
>> centos64.pdx.yoctoproject.org
>> debian7.pdx.yoctoproject.org
>> etc.
>>
>> This allows for additional build clusters to be added and makes the
>> distro clear to anyone viewing the logs. The current available build
>> slaves can be found on the relevant cluster's buildbot interface
>> (http://autobuilder.yoctoproject.org/main/buildslaves) so as names
>> change there is an easy place to look them up.
>>
>> Comments?
> I guess this works fine until you want to have two builders with the same
> distro. Maybe we plan not to do that anymore...?

I've been asked to run many different distros in order to find distro
specific incompatibilities and bugs. So ideally we wouldn't have two
builders running the same distro and version in the same location.
Sometimes when refreshing all of the builders at once we will install
the same software on all of them to speed up the process. They were all
openSUSE for awhile 2 years ago and they are all Fedora at the moment.
In these cases, should they arise again, I would append a letter to
distinguish the hostname.

fedora20.osl.yoctoproject.org
fedora20-a.osl.yoctoproject.org
fedora20-b.osl.yoctoproject.org