[yocto] Unable to upgrade kernel; package for kernel name includes version

Bryan Evenson bevenson at melinkcorp.com
Mon Nov 25 06:45:51 PST 2013

I'm on poky/dylan-9.0.1 I am upgrading the Linux kernel for my device's image from a custom 3.6.9 kernel to a custom 3.10 kernel.  I'm using this layer: https://github.com/evensonbryan/meta-atmel as a basis for the custom kernel recipe (there is a recipe for the 3.10 kernel that I haven't yet deployed to Github in case anyone is wondering).  I'm attempting to do a firmware upgrade with my built packages (using opkg for package management) and I've discovered an issue with the kernel naming.  On my pre-upgraded device, a list of installed packages includes:

kernel-devicetree
kernel-image-3.6.9-yocto-standard

So when I build my updated Linux kernel, the kernel image is now named "kernel-image-3.10.0-yocto-standard".  So when I attempt to do an upgrade, the kernel-devicetree is upgraded just fine but the kernel image is not; kernel-image-3.10.0-yocto-standard is not the same package as kernel-image-3.6.9-yocto-standard, so opkg does not see this as an upgrade.

How do I force the packaging system to recognize that the new kernel is an upgrade of the old kernel, even though the packages have different names?  And for the future, how do I change the package name so that it doesn't include the version?

Thanks,
Bryan