[yocto] RFC Autobuilder Naming

Michael Halstead michael at yoctoproject.org
Fri Nov 22 15:43:58 PST 2013

Currently all builders are simply named ab00-ab13 based on when we
acquired them. The name doesn't change except for ab01 which has been
reused on new hardware. As we increase the number of builders and make
the build process more flexible this becomes inconvenient. I'd like to
switch to embedding useful information in the name.

Going forward as I refresh builders I'd like to name them with their
distro and location.

For example at OSL:

fedora19.osl.yoctoproject.org
fedora20.osl.yoctoproject.org
opensuse131.osl.yoctoproject.org
ubuntu1310.osl.yoctoproject.org
etc.

And if we added a build clusters in the EasyStreet datacenter in Portland:

centos64.pdx.yoctoproject.org
debian7.pdx.yoctoproject.org
etc.

This allows for additional build clusters to be added and makes the
distro clear to anyone viewing the logs. The current available build
slaves can be found on the relevant cluster's buildbot interface
(http://autobuilder.yoctoproject.org/main/buildslaves) so as names
change there is an easy place to look them up.

Comments?

--
Michael Halstead
Yocto Project / System Administrator